turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kpalo2230

I need to file an injured spouse form 8379. I have been unable to access the form before i finish my efile. do i have to finsih filing before i can access the form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaR

I need to file an injured spouse form 8379. I have been unable to access the form before i finish my efile. do i have to finsih filing before i can access the form

No, you would want to complete Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation before e-filing.

Have you tried these steps to prepare the form:

·         Type injured spouse in Search (upper right of screen) and click the Jump to injured spouse link

·         Innocent or Injured Spouse Relief – Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief?  Yes

·         Innocent and Injured Spouse Relief – First, enter the years that you’re seeking innocent spouse reliefDO NOT enter anything here – This is for Innocent Spouse – select Continue

·         Your Request For Innocent Spouse Relief – select Continue

·         Let’s See if You Qualify for Injured Spouse Relief – Check the box for the state(s) you're in or check Somewhere else

·         At Tell Us More About Your Situation – Check ALL boxes that apply – Make sure you check the second to last box I am not required to pay the past due amount’ (click on screenshot below for details)

·         I reported my own federal tax withheld or federal estimated tax payments on the joint return – Yes

·         Do you want to file this claim with your 2017 tax return? - Yes

·         Enter or confirm the following personal information – enter or confirm the information

·         Who Is the Injured Spouse – check the box for You or Spouse

·         Enter Mailing Address

·         Do you want your refund to be issued in your name only – choose answer

·         Allocate Income – Enter the portion of the total income on this return that should be claimed by Spouse

·         Allocate Deductions – Decide what portion of the following deductions on this return should be claimed by Spouse

·         Allocate Exemptions – Enter the number of personal exemptions from this return that should be claimed by Spouse

·         Your Claim is Now Ready to Be Filed With Your Return

I am also including the IRS Instructions for Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation which give you line-by-line instructions as you complete the form:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8379.pdf

NOTE:  If you need additional assistance, please comment and I will assist further.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies