turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

devona996

I need to file a 1099 for 2016, last quarter only sept-dec.I have already filed w2's for 2016. Can I file w2s and 1099 separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I need to file a 1099 for 2016, last quarter only sept-dec.I have already filed w2's for 2016. Can I file w2s and 1099 separately?

You can but it is not advisable. If you have all your tax information available, it should be included on the original return. If you get a refund from the W-2s and then have to turn around and write a check back to the IRS for the taxes on the 1099-Misc, it is the same as filing everything at once and getting the smaller refund (or balance due) now.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You can but it is not advisable. If you have all your tax information available, it should be included on the original return. If you get a refund from the W-2s and then have to turn around and write a check back to the IRS for the taxes on the 1099-Misc, it is the same as filing everything at once and getting the smaller refund (or balance due) now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies