Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moxhambi
Returning Member

I need an alternate method to pay turbo tax. They won't accept a credit card if my address is outside the US even though it is an American bank

Everything is ready I have a US bank account and a credit card from a US bank but some how a foreign address is too much?  No paypal oreft? what is up with that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I need an alternate method to pay turbo tax. They won't accept a credit card if my address is outside the US even though it is an American bank

Some people use the address of a family member or friend who has a US address.

moxhambi
Returning Member

Thanks but I'm an orphan.  My mom died last year.  I'm thinking I can buy the downloadable version from Amazon because they accept my credit card and paypal.  Then it's prepaid.  I'm wondering since the taxes are completed if Turbotax will pull the information in and if this method of making payment has any issued?  You help is appreciated very much.  I had my taxes done on time, it's simple because I'm retired and they owe me a refund so it seem odd that the one thing holding everything up is paying for the service.  Who'd have thought Turbo Tax doesn't want my money. 

You can also just use a fake US address like

123 Main Street

Portland, Maine  04101

Carl
Level 15

To use a credit card to pay your filing fees, three criteria must be met. There are no exceptions.

1) Card must be on a US bank in US funds

2) Billing address must be a valid US address

3) Phone number must be a valid US phone number.

If you are outside the U.S and your card does not meet all three requirements., you can visit the U.S. embassy of whatever country you're in, or a satellite office and purchase a prepaid visa for whatever amount you need. All U.S. Embassies have a U.S. banking facility in them, and "some" consulate offices do.
After you get the prepaid VISA, register it on line with a valid U.S. address and U.S. phone number. Then give it a few hours for your registration to propagate where ever it needs to propagate to. Then you can pay your online filing fees.

moxhambi
Returning Member

Thanks for that, but would a prepaid Visa run afoul of the no foreign address rule inside the Turbotax payment section?  I have a Visa drawn on a US bank.  It's the fact that it has a Thai address that makes it unacceptable.  Even if I buy a prepaid Visa I would still have to enter my Thai address no?   Also in my case I would need to travel 500 miles, stay in Bangkok or Chainghaing Mai for at least 3 days in order to get said Visa or I could cross the border into Laos but I'm pretty sure Savannaket does not have a bank and Vientiane is 200 miles away and that pesky border crossing which invalidates my Thai Visa so sure your heart may be in the right place  and if I were nearer an Embassy and if Turbo tax accepted a prepaid Visa without an address that would be good advice.

As I have pointed out I can buy a downloadable version of turbo tax from Amazon or probably Best Buy with pay pal  or at least in my case Amazon accept my credit card drawn on a US bank with a foreign address so although Turbotax makes no exception  that seem to be a work around none the less.  My question now is since I don't have the program once I purchase it does Turbo tax  have a roadblock in that program that would keep me from filing?

Sorry I'm going on but I've been using TurboTax for 6 years now and I could really carer could care less about Turbotax at this point.Block or Liberty Tax  or Tax Act if they'd have a reasonable payment method.  Everybody is great pointing out how Turbotax can't accept my money. What kind of crazy rule is that where an honest taxpayer has to pretend to have an address in the US or do some other nefarious thing to file a tax return. My plea to Turbotax is (and I know they have to protect themselves) but there has to be away for me to get my taxes done and pay Turbotax. Stop living in the 1900's.

Carl
Level 15

Thanks for that, but would a prepaid Visa run afoul of the no foreign address rule inside the Turbotax payment section?

Don't see how, so long as you use a VALID U.S. mailing address when you register it on line, and use a VALID U.S. phone number too. Can be any address/phone number in the U.S.  The key is, it has to be a VALID address and phone. Such as parent's or some other relative or friend.
would still have to enter my Thai address no?

No. You enter "any" "valid" U.S. address and phone number when registering the pre-paid VISA "on line".
As I have pointed out I can buy a downloadable version of turbo tax from Amazon
But if you are required to pay a separate filing fee that is not included in your purchaes price, then you're back to square one with the payment method.
Typically, when using the online version, you need a valid CC on a US bank with a valid US adderss and phone. Without that, you flat out can't e-file.
With the desktop version that you physically install on your PC or MAC,if you get the version that includes "one free state", (if you need to file a state return) then while you will not pay extra to purchase the state module, you still have to pay the efiling fee to e-file that state.
Note that if you purchase the desktop version from a third party (such as Amazon) then it's the third party, and not TurboTax  you'll have to deal with if you have any problems entering the activation key and registering the program.  You can see the list of authorized retailers at https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-product-orders/obtain-authentic-t...
NOTE NOTE NOTE:
When purchasing from Amazon:
Important: When clicking to cart make sure your purchase is "Shipped and Sold by Amazon or Amazon.com."  TurboTax can’t guarantee that TurboTax software purchased from unauthorized sellers on Amazon is authentic TurboTax software.

@moxhambi wrote:

As I have pointed out I can buy a downloadable version of turbo tax from Amazon.......

With a foreign address?:

"Note: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States."

moxhambi
Returning Member

So you are technically right but my taxes are done none the less.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see this link for additional information directly from TurboTax.  These are the only options available for payment if you are using TurboTax.

If you are trying to electronically file, please see this link as there are additional restrictions for payment options based upon IRS regulations.

@moxhambi 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
moxhambi
Returning Member

I get your options for payment online for your product. That's what created this problem.  What do you care how I pay as long as you get paid?  The world has many options for payment but your company sticks with credit card (with a US address) and by payment from the refund (but that is not usable by people with a foreign address).

As for paying the taxes due why don't you just spell out the methods of payment that the IRS authorizes rather than keeping me in the dark?I went to your link but that is some internal Turbotax policy and not IRS regulation

The IRS says on its website:

Other Ways You Can Pay

• Same Day Wire — Bank fees may apply
  • Check or Money Order — Through U.S. mail
  • Cash — Through a retail partner and other methods
  • Electronic Funds Withdrawl — During e-filing

They even accept International wire transfers.  So why are you providing a requirement that doesn't comport with IRS regulations? 

However I can't even access any of these methods since you won't allow me to access my completed tax return till I pay you and you restrict the methods of payment.

moxhambi
Returning Member

International taxpayers who do not have a U.S. bank account may follow the instructions below to transfer funds from their foreign bank account directly to the Internal Revenue Service for payment of their individual or business tax liabilities.

moxhambi
Returning Member

Electronically using a prepaid card or mobile app
  • Buy a prepaid credit card and pay online or through the IRS2GOmobile app

@moxhambi There are other options besides TurboTax 

Go to this IRS website for Free File vendors - https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies