Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BK440

I wish to use my one State filing for myself and pay for the state fling ($19.99) for my son's State. How do I make that happen? Turbotax Deluxe with One State Return BK

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I wish to use my one State filing for myself and pay for the state fling ($19.99) for my son's State. How do I make that happen? Turbotax Deluxe with One State Return BK

You can file up to 5 returns on TT Deluxe with one free state download.  You can do your taxes, and then when it comes to your son's TR, start his return and TT will guide you to pay for his State, if it sees it is different than yours.  Or, if you do his first, it will ask if that is the one you want for free.  Either way, you get one State for free (and can use it for more than one person or family in the State) and when it comes time to download then next State, TT will ask you to pay for it.  You can use your own Intuit account to pay for it, even though it is his TR, and then just ask him to reimburse you, if you want.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You can file up to 5 returns on TT Deluxe with one free state download.  You can do your taxes, and then when it comes to your son's TR, start his return and TT will guide you to pay for his State, if it sees it is different than yours.  Or, if you do his first, it will ask if that is the one you want for free.  Either way, you get one State for free (and can use it for more than one person or family in the State) and when it comes time to download then next State, TT will ask you to pay for it.  You can use your own Intuit account to pay for it, even though it is his TR, and then just ask him to reimburse you, if you want.  

BK440

I My fed/state and My son's. TT charged me $19.99 for both States. Is this right? I thought I get 1 state free? What's Up BK
BK440

Correction above: I filed both Fed/State for my son and myself. TT charged 19.99 for each CA filing. I thought I'd get ONE CA filing for free and pay 19.99 for the other? BK440

The State is free but TT charges $19.99 to e-file the return. If you choose to e-file both returns, you pay $19.99 per return. You could avoid the charge by printing and mailing the return, but e-filling is faster and easier, but not free.
If you were paying for a state, say your son lives in AZ, and you in CA, before you started his AZ return, TT would ask you to pay for the download.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies