Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drmilligan
Returning Member

I may be getting married before year-end 2019 to a British citizen (she will be moving here). How (if at all) do I report her foreign income before we married?

My fiancee will have earned about 20,000 pounds while a British citizen living in England and NOT married to me. She will likely not work at all once she moves here and we get married.

My main reason for the question is to figure out how or if I should be reporting her earned income as a foreign citizen in a foreign country before our marriage... but secondly, I also want to determine how this impacts my ability to deduct a Traditional IRA contribution. My income is at a point where if I DON'T have to include her income with mine this year, I could deduct a Traditional IRA contribution due to the higher phaseout for MFJ. But if I have to include her income, and it increases my MAGI, then I won't be able to. 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I may be getting married before year-end 2019 to a British citizen (she will be moving here). How (if at all) do I report her foreign income before we married?

Assuming that you are US citizen/ Resident ( Green Card ) / Resident for tax purposes  and   that your fiancee will be in USA ( after marriage) on a visa ( whether work or not type), her foreign income  generally would not be subject to US taxes as long as you do not file MFJ.  She would be a Non-Resident Alien  till she either meets the  Substantial Presence Test ( 183 day present counting all days in 2019, 1/3 rd. of the days present in 2018 and 1/6th. the days present in 2017 ) OR is granted a Permanent Resident Status ( Green Card ).

Does that answer your query or do you need more  help ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies