Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made the same amount last year and this year have the same dependence as last year but this year I have a mortgage and house taxes. So why is my federal tax refund the same?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I made the same amount last year and this year have the same dependence as last year but this year I have a mortgage and house taxes. So why is my federal tax refund the same?

We cannot see your tax return so do not know what the amounts are.  But if you purchased your house later in the year, then the homeownership deductions for mortgage interest and property taxes may not have been enough to exceed your standard deduction and affect your refund.

2017 Standard Deductions

Single    $6350  (65 or older + $1550)

Married Filing Separately   $6350  (65 or older +  $1250)

Married Filing Jointly           $12,700  (65 or older + $1250@)

Head of Household $9350  (65 or older + $1550)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

We cannot see your tax return so do not know what the amounts are.  But if you purchased your house later in the year, then the homeownership deductions for mortgage interest and property taxes may not have been enough to exceed your standard deduction and affect your refund.

2017 Standard Deductions

Single    $6350  (65 or older + $1550)

Married Filing Separately   $6350  (65 or older +  $1250)

Married Filing Jointly           $12,700  (65 or older + $1250@)

Head of Household $9350  (65 or older + $1550)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies