Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made an estimated tax payment to the IRS on April 8, 2024 before I filed my 2023 return. Will this estimated tax payment be applied to my 2023 return or my 2024 return?

It appears that the IRS added the exact amount of my April 8 estimated tax payment to my 2023 refund, even though I did not file until 2024. Is that correct, or do I need to resubmit the payment so it goes with my 2024 return?  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I made an estimated tax payment to the IRS on April 8, 2024 before I filed my 2023 return. Will this estimated tax payment be applied to my 2023 return or my 2024 return?

How did you pay the estimate on April 8?  Did you send in a check or pay online at the IRS?  If you mailed a check did you send it with a  2024 1040ES slip or with a 2023 extension?  Sounds like they applied it to 2023 as an extension or tax due payment. 

If the IRS added it on to your 2023 return and you got it back then forget about it going forward.  If you  want to pay an estimate for 2024 you need to send it in again with the right 1040ES slip or add it to the June  payment.  

Or you can pay on the IRS website. Be sure to pick 2024 1040ES payment
https://www.irs.gov/payments

You definitely don't even work for Intuit... 

You don't sound credible. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies