The error messaging you are seeing with regard to the wash sale entries is a result of automatic rounding of the number imported from your broker or typed in by you. If the wash sale adjustment is $0.49 or less, then it is automatically rounded to zero. This type of rounding is allowed by the IRS. Unfortunately, zero is not a valid value for this field -- thus the error message.
To resolve the issue, you can edit each individual transaction and delete the amount entered in the wash sale adjustment if it is $0.49 or less. This will clear the error message.
To do this, you will need to revisit the input section for the Form 1099-B transactions. Use the following steps:
- On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
- This opens a box where you can type in “1099-B” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
- The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-B”
- Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-B” link
- Click Edit beside the institution name
- Click Edit beside each transaction that contains a wash sale adjustment amount of $0.49 or less
- Delete the wash sale adjustment amount and click Done
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
The wash sale adjustment amount is in block 1g on the 1099-B , which is not one of the windows that opens for correction. Is there a way to expand the dialogue to include bog 1g?
Yes, you can access box 1g on form 1099-B. Here's how:
- Open or continue your return in TurboTax and search for wash sales.
- Select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
- Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?
- On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stock, Bonds, Mutual Funds. Then select Continue.
- From here, you can import or manually enter your 1099-B.
- Answer the questions about your sales. Choose to Enter sales one by one when asked.
- On the Now, we'll enter one sale on your 1099-B screen, enter your info. Check I have other boxes on my 1099-B to enter and enter the disallowed wash sale loss in box 1g.
- Select Continue and answer any follow-up questions.
The instructions were helpful. However, TurboTax needs to make changes so this does not happen. It was very irritating and time consuming. The fix should be simple. If the wash sale is 0.49 or less, and the 1099-B form does not allow a zero, then the software should leave it blank and save headaches for the user.