loi-nguyen2000

I'm trying to file an extended return for my 2016 tax. I'm not able to find where to start on Turbo Tax Deluxe edition. Would you please help?

TomK

For this tax season, the TurboTax Easy Extension feature will be available to customers in late March.  You'll be able to file an extension thru TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab
  2. Click on the Other Tax Situations subtab
  3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms 
  4. Select File An Extension

The important thing to remember about extensions is that they only extend your time to file the return.  If you owe money, then the IRS and states expect you to pay by the normal tax deadline -- there's no extension for paying. So if you're filing an extension and you believe you'll owe, then you'll want to mail a check to the IRS or state.  

On the other hand, If you normally receive a refund, and you don't anticipate any change, then you don't need to send payment.

In regard to your state return: Some states will piggyback off the federal extension, so there's no additional state form to file.  Other states require you to submit their own extension forms.  TurboTax will walk you thru the state extension as well as the federal process to ensure you follow the requirements of your state.

If you're curious about your particular state, here's a list of extension requirements by state: https://www.irs.com/articles/state-tax-extension-information

TomK

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab
  3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms 
  4. Select File An Extension