Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m trying to figure out which way is best to file, this is the first year me and my wife are married, and I started my return as married joint, but it seems the more information I enter the less

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m trying to figure out which way is best to file, this is the first year me and my wife are married, and I started my return as married joint, but it seems the more information I enter the less

generally married filing joint is going to produce the lowest combined tax liability and the biggest refund or the smallest balance due.    married filing separate results in loss of certain credits and if one itemizes the other must also or if one takes the standard deduction both must take it.     about the only time married filing separate is better is when both can itemize and one with the lowest income has the highest medical expense. 

you may want to buy the desktop software to check various scenarios.  Married joint and married filing separate.

or you can do this online.  do your separate return see the tax summary page. delete it.  do your spouse's separate return see the summary page then delete it.  then do joint.   if your spouse didn't have any income don't bother with the various scenarios, joint will be best. 

@Anonymous  Thank you for your response, as I mentioned I’m still fairly new at all the new stuff as far as being married. So I started my taxes married joint and I done a little prep work until my w2’s came in, as well as hers, and as I’m entering them some credits we no longer get because of our combined AGI. I was unsure if maybe I messed up or if filing separate would benefit us any. But like you said I could do separately for both and do the math 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies