Solved: I’m still claiming my 17 yr old daughter, who had ...

pnkrose417

I’m still claiming my 17 yr old daughter, who had a part time job last year. Do I need to include her income (<1500) with mine? If I claim her as a dependent, can she still file to try to recoup

You do Not enter a dependent's earned income on your tax return.  The dependent can file their own tax return and indicate on their return that they can be claimed as a dependent.

You can claim your daughter as a dependent under the Qualifying Child rules if she meets all the requirements.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

To be a Qualifying Child -

pnkrose417

Thanks so much!!