turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm self employed most of the time but part of the time I work for a NGO, which forms do I need to submit?

This year I started a LLC, will that effect which forms to submit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I'm self employed most of the time but part of the time I work for a NGO, which forms do I need to submit?

You will want to report your self-employment income on Schedule C, using the Business tab in TurboTax Self-Employed. Your earnings from the NGO, which I assume are reported to you on a Form W-2, should be reported under the Personal tab.

The reporting for the LLC is a bit tricky, depending on the choices you made when you started it. If it is a single-member LLC, it will be a disregarded entity for income tax purposes, meaning you file it on another Schedule C within your existing tax return. 

If it is a multi-member LLC, you would have been asked to make an election to treat it as a partnership (this is the default) or as an S Corp. Either of these will require the use of TurboTax Business (Windows Only), which is a Windows desktop product only, to prepare and file the LLC's tax return, either Form 1065 for a partnership, or Form 1120-S for an S Corp. Either of these will generate a Form K-1 for each member, which is used to carry the individual member's share of income and expenses back to his personal tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

You will want to report your self-employment income on Schedule C, using the Business tab in TurboTax Self-Employed. Your earnings from the NGO, which I assume are reported to you on a Form W-2, should be reported under the Personal tab.

The reporting for the LLC is a bit tricky, depending on the choices you made when you started it. If it is a single-member LLC, it will be a disregarded entity for income tax purposes, meaning you file it on another Schedule C within your existing tax return. 

If it is a multi-member LLC, you would have been asked to make an election to treat it as a partnership (this is the default) or as an S Corp. Either of these will require the use of TurboTax Business (Windows Only), which is a Windows desktop product only, to prepare and file the LLC's tax return, either Form 1065 for a partnership, or Form 1120-S for an S Corp. Either of these will generate a Form K-1 for each member, which is used to carry the individual member's share of income and expenses back to his personal tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies