Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm self employed and receive a 1099. My husband works for a company and receives a W-2, can we still claim file our taxes jointly..?

I'm self employed and receive a 1099. My husband works for a company and receives a W-2, can we still claim file our taxes jointly..?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

This response was edited to correct that the taxpayer was self-employed and the husband received W-2 income.

Yes. Couples who file together report all their income on one tax return. Self-employment just requires an additional self-employment tax form called a Schedule C because no income taxes or Social Security and Medicare were withheld from your pay.

Those taxes will be added to your tax return so your refund will probably be lower than last year (if you both had W-2s) or you may owe.

Filing separately generally does not help. Married filing separately will just move your tax liability around. For example, if you end up owing $1,000 filing together, filing separately may give your husband a $500 refund while you may owe -$1,500 on your return ($500-$1,500 = -$1,000).

You’ll also need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed. If you are using TurboTax Online you can do it within the program.

You can also claim business expenses.

[Edited 04/06/23 | 00:00 PST]

Learn more at The ultimate guide to tax deductions for the self-employed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

This response was edited to correct that the taxpayer was self-employed and the husband received W-2 income.

Yes. Couples who file together report all their income on one tax return. Self-employment just requires an additional self-employment tax form called a Schedule C because no income taxes or Social Security and Medicare were withheld from your pay.

Those taxes will be added to your tax return so your refund will probably be lower than last year (if you both had W-2s) or you may owe.

Filing separately generally does not help. Married filing separately will just move your tax liability around. For example, if you end up owing $1,000 filing together, filing separately may give your husband a $500 refund while you may owe -$1,500 on your return ($500-$1,500 = -$1,000).

You’ll also need to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed. If you are using TurboTax Online you can do it within the program.

You can also claim business expenses.

[Edited 04/06/23 | 00:00 PST]

Learn more at The ultimate guide to tax deductions for the self-employed.

My husband can also claim business expenses on my business or from the company he works for and receives a W-2 from..?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, Ernie just got you two swapped in his answer. Your husband's  employee expenses might be deductible when itemizing on your state return.

Only you as the self-employed person will enter income and expenses related to the business. See Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center|IRS & Small Business Virtual Tax Workshop|IRS

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies