Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm not claiming my children due to my gross income being less I live with my children's father do I still need to file form 8332 even if we have a verbal agreement

I have always claimed my two kids but this year I have not worked much, I am allowing my partner to claim the children this year since he has a higher gross income and he is the paternal father for both kids. We live together and we are both in agreement of him claiming the children. Do I need to file the form 8332? or can we just do our taxes as normal and will it affect our refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CANDU

I'm not claiming my children due to my gross income being less I live with my children's father do I still need to file form 8332 even if we have a verbal agreement

I think you should claim what you qualify to claim even if your income is lower than prior years.

If you and the children's dad all live together as a family then you do not use Form 8332.  That form is only for divorced or never married parents who LIVE APART and share custody.    Only one of you can claim the children.  Do not enter their SSN's on both of your returns.    Dad files as Head of Household and gets the child-related credits on his return; you file Single and do not enter anything about the kids on your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies