turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm married w 1 child but have to claim single/0 on my W4 to get enough withheld. If I changed married/1 and put the extra cash in a 401K, would my tax bill go up?

I am married with a dependent but claim single/zero on my W4 in order to have enough withheld.  My wife claims married/1.

What would be the impact to my Federal taxes if I switch to married/1 on myW4 and contributed the additional take-home pay to my 401K,?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I'm married w 1 child but have to claim single/0 on my W4 to get enough withheld. If I changed married/1 and put the extra cash in a 401K, would my tax bill go up?

If you change to add married 1 versus single and 1 to your W-4 at work your taxes withheld would go down on your paycheck.

If you change to add more to a 401K (if a Traditional 401K only - not a Roth 401K) your taxable income on the pay check would go down and your income tax withheld from your employer would also go down.

So if you did both of these (and nothing else changed), you would get a smaller refund (or owe taxes).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies