ratkorn420

I'm ihss provider that lives with recipient. got a w2 for my wages, but per 2014-7 i'm exempt. do i not enter w2 at all? or enter then do other misc income as negative?

option 1: not report w2 at all.
option 2: report w2, then add under misc income, an amount of the same as my reported wages but negative, and a description as "2014-7"
both end up with same result, just not sure if i have to enter the w2 or not.
what do you guys think? thank you

Rachel_W

I am assuming that you received a Form 1099-MISC as opposed to a Form W-2 for your IHSS Income.  You are correct, both of your options end up with the same result, but it is necessary to use Option 2 because the IRS will be looking to match that income to your return.  If you were to use Option 1 and not report the income at all, you would receive a notice from the IRS adding that missing income to your return.

Please click here for a very comprehensive answer regarding this situation by TurboTaxJulieH:

Excluding IHSS Income Per IRS notice 2014-7

Rachel_W

ratkorn420

That's what I was thinking. Also, it was a w2 not a 1099misc that I received. Thank you for your help!