Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dksheff

I'm filing a 2019 amended return. TurboTax is telling me I must print and mail, but I thought it was possible (and preferred) to file electronically for 2019. How?

I'm using TurboTax online.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm filing a 2019 amended return. TurboTax is telling me I must print and mail, but I thought it was possible (and preferred) to file electronically for 2019. How?

You cannot amend a 2019 return online.   And since the IRS has not opened e-filing for the tax season,  you cannot e-file an amended return.  We need to understand what you are trying to do to "amend" a 2019 return.

What does it mean to "amend" a return?

·         Do I Need to Amend my Tax Return?

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

TurboTax has never been able to prepare amended returns for a prior year after the close of that year‘s filing season in October. I know that they have been working on the ability to prepare online amended returns, so I would not automatically agree with my colleague that TurboTax online can’t be used to prepare an amended return for 2019.  However, I would want to print the return in any case and triple check that the tax forms have a 2019 date instead of a 2020 date. We are not always informed when program capabilities change significantly.

saying that, all e-filing is closed by the IRS until February 12. You could have e-filed the amended return up until October 15. We don’t know yet if you will be able to resume e-filing an amended 2019 return after the IRS opens electronic filing for 2020.  At this point I think you have two choices. Either print and mail your amended return now, or wait until after February 12 to see if it is possible to e-file it then. You may end up having to print anyway. This is new, and we just don’t know all the details yet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies