turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmagin78

I'm divorced but for now still sharing a house with ex-wife & 2 kids. I make more $ and will claim Head of Household. Can she claim the kids as dependents this year?

Divorce decree says to alternate years for claiming dependents, I claimed them last year. Just making sure that since we still live together will not change her ability to claim our 2 kids.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I'm divorced but for now still sharing a house with ex-wife & 2 kids. I make more $ and will claim Head of Household. Can she claim the kids as dependents this year?

Yes, she can claim the kids.  However, if she claims the kids, you can't claim Head of Household (unless you have another dependent on your tax return).  

Since the children live with both of you, either of you can claim them.  The divorce decree does not matter to the IRS, only custody does.  Additionally, whoever claims the children also claims any other dependent credits (Child Tax, EIC, Child/Dep Care), including the Head of Household filing status.  You will need a dependent not listed on your ex's return on your tax return to file Head of Household.  

You can choose an arrangement that is the most tax beneficial to your family.  You can each claim one child or either of you can claim both.  However, if you each claim one child,  since you live in the same household, only 1 of you can be Head of that Household, the other would need to file as Single.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Yes, she can claim the kids.  However, if she claims the kids, you can't claim Head of Household (unless you have another dependent on your tax return).  

Since the children live with both of you, either of you can claim them.  The divorce decree does not matter to the IRS, only custody does.  Additionally, whoever claims the children also claims any other dependent credits (Child Tax, EIC, Child/Dep Care), including the Head of Household filing status.  You will need a dependent not listed on your ex's return on your tax return to file Head of Household.  

You can choose an arrangement that is the most tax beneficial to your family.  You can each claim one child or either of you can claim both.  However, if you each claim one child,  since you live in the same household, only 1 of you can be Head of that Household, the other would need to file as Single.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies