Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm an employer in California. Is the SDI I pay on my employee's wages deductible on my Federal taxes?

I run a sole proprietorship with 3 employees.  I pay SDI (State Disability Insurance) on their wages to the State Of California.  This is basically a tax that the state mandates.  It's about 1% of the total wages I pay to my employees.  

Is this SDI I pay deductible on Schedule C?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DeniseF1

I'm an employer in California. Is the SDI I pay on my employee's wages deductible on my Federal taxes?

On your Schedule C, you will report the disability paid to the state as an expense (insurance) but you do not include the details which you report to the state.  In addition, you would report her wages in the same manner as an expense.

SDI is taken from the employees wages NOT your pocket.   When you report your employees gross wages as an expense, you've already deducted the SDI that's been paid in.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Lisa995, Are you sure?  It shows up as an amount due on my DE9 form that I file with the state of California.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies