Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

besito89
Returning Member

I'm ammending last year's return to update spouse's ITIN since they applied for one when filing taxes last year. Turbotax says we now owe a balance. Why is that?

We received less refund that stated in turbotax last year... Now it says we owe additioal $1400. This is super weird as nothing else has changed except for my spouse's ITIN, which is the reason of the ammending.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

I'm ammending last year's return to update spouse's ITIN since they applied for one when filing taxes last year. Turbotax says we now owe a balance. Why is that?

Hi besito89, thank you for posting the question.

$1,400 increase in amendment balance due seems to be an disallowed 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit.

Please refer to below link Q C4 and Q C5 that in general, a valid Social Security Number is required to claim Recovery Rebate Credit (not ITIN.)

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-c-eligibility-for-claiming-a-recovery... 

Please contact us for live help if needed.

How do I contact TurboTax?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/contact-turbotax/L2y9...

Hope the above helps.

Thank you,

Kitty

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@besito89 can you please provide a little more detail? 

sounds like you are amending 2021 tax return.  Why do you think you have to amend? 

On the original return, did you use an ITIN for your spouse? if that return was completed properly, she was not elgibile for the $1400 recovery rebate credit as it required a social security number.  What was on Line 30 of form 1040?  Was your wife listed on the original tax return and what was your filing status? 

What was the refund you were expecting and what did you receive? if the difference is $1400, then that is correct and amending won't change that. 

Did the IRS approve the original tax return? are they asking you to amend? 

We received less refund that stated in turbotax last year..."

You probably received $1,400 less.

Resolving this correctly on Form 1040-X is tricky.

Since you received less that cancels out what 1040-X incorrectly says you owe..

BUT

you probably don't have to amend anyway.

@besito89 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies