Solved: I'm a volunteer driver and received a 1099-NEC

dandy_andy

I'm a volunteer driver and received a 1099-NEC

I've been a volunteer medical driver since 2017. I get reimbursed for mileage (IRS rate) + meals + hotels + tolls.

This year, unlike all years prior, I received a 1099-NEC.

It seems wrong to receive it because

1) they didn't send it years past,

2) other organizations I voluntarily drive for do not send any tax forms.

When I entered the 1099-NEC, my federal refund dropped from $166 to just $5.

My understanding is that I have to say I am self-employed and that I can only get my federal refund back up by entering expenses (vehicle/mileage/assets purchased/office supplies/etc.)

Problem is that I didn't know I needed to keep track of this info so I have very few records. 

Perhaps I should just guess on my expenses? I don't think the IRS is going to audit me as I am very low income.

WendyN2

Your employer opted for the new expense category deduction for you. And, no, you were not informed in nearly enough time. However, there is a light at the end of this tunnel for you! If you put together a list of legitimate expenses, itemize by month, and label it as such, this will more than suffice as long as you are within a certain window of expectation of what you are reporting. I have some really great checklists on my personal laptop as many of my clients are firefighters and EMT workers. However, I am sure I can find something real quick for you....

Please note, that since they gave you a 1099-NEC, you now have a Schedule C to fill out. This benefits you as given that what I know you get paid for this definitely is less than what all you spend on boots, clothing, hair cuts, etc. Again, be reasonable and that more than suffices!

Here's one I just found that is a good checklist:

Tax Deductions for Paramedics/EMTs

WendyN2

Tax Deductions for Paramedics/EMTs