Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m 15 years old and I didn’t do taxes last year because I was unemployed so I need to do my taxes in person but I accidentally washed my w2 for in the washer

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I’m 15 years old and I didn’t do taxes last year because I was unemployed so I need to do my taxes in person but I accidentally washed my w2 for in the washer

Ask your employer for another copy of your W-2.  That is the best bet for getting another copy.  Since you are 15, you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.   When you prepare your tax return it will ask you in My Info if someone else can claim you ---so you say YES.   If the employer withheld tax that is shown in boxes 2 or 17 of your W-2 you can file a tax return to seek a refund of those amounts. You will not get back any of the amounts that were withheld for Social Security or Medicare.  

Your tax return will have to be filed by mail; it cannot be e-filed because you are younger than 16.   

If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for mailing it after the deadline on April 15, 2024.  You have time to get a copy of the W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies