turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lost my w2, how can i get a duplicate as company desolved?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

You can first try to get a tax return transcript from the IRS:

• You can get a wage and income transcript (available from the IRS free of charge. They're not exact copies, but they contain everything on your W-2, except the state and local information.), containing the Federal tax information your employer reported to the Social Security Administration (SSA), by visiting our Get Your Tax Record page. Refer to Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them and About Tax Transcripts for more information.
  • You can also use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Check the box for Form W-2, specify which tax year(s) you need, and mail or fax the completed form. Most requests will be processed within 10 business days from the IRS received date.

IRS Transcript or Copy of Form W2

Another option to file by the tax deadline without a W-2, is to fill out Form 4852.  To verify that your Form 4852 agrees with the income and tax withholding your employer reported to the IRS, you can request a Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS.

Form 4852 is a substitute for Form W-2.  When you use TurboTax, we'll ask you a few questions to estimate your total wages and withholding using your final pay stub, and fill out Form 4852 based on your answers. 

The IRS doesn't allow Form 4852 to be filed electronically, so you'll need to paper file your tax return by printing out the necessary forms and mailing them to the IRS.

It might take the IRS longer than normal to process your return while it verifies your information.  If you don't mind waiting, you can request an extension. This gives you additional months to get your W-2 and file a return.

Just keep in mind that you still need to pay any taxes due by the tax deadline, so an extension to file isn't an extension of time to pay any taxes you may owe.

Otherwise, the IRS will add interest and perhaps penalties to the amount due when you eventually file your extended return.

TurboTax FAQ: What if I can't get a W2 from my employer?

If you can't get a W-2 from your employer, you have the option to file a substitute W-2 form, also called Form 4852. 

Here's how:

1. Start by selecting Wages and Salaries (W-2).
  2. Select Work on my W-2.
  3. Enter the Employer ID Number (EIN) if you know it, or leave it blank, then select Continue.
  4. Now select Type it in myself.
  5. Enter your employer's name, address, and Employer ID Number (EIN). There are a few ways to find your employer’s EIN if you don’t have your W-2.
  6. Complete the requested W-2 information using your most recent pay stubs to estimate your total income and total taxes paid (including federal, state, and local taxes).
  7. Continue to the screen, Let's check for uncommon situations and select Didn't get a W-2.

After we have this info, we'll ask you a few follow-up questions to complete Form 4852. Once you're finished, we'll give you a chance to print a copy for your records. We strongly recommend you do this so you have a record of what you earned and what you contributed to Social Security.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

• You can get a wage and income transcript (available from the IRS free of charge. They're not exact copies, but they contain everything on your W-2, except the state and local information.), containing the Federal tax information your employer reported to the Social Security Administration (SSA), by visiting our Get Your Tax Record page. Refer to Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them and About Tax Transcripts for more information.
  • You can also use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Check the box for Form W-2, specify which tax year(s) you need, and mail or fax the completed form. Most requests will be processed within 10 business days from the IRS received date.

Another option to file by the tax deadline without a W-2, is to fill out Form 4852.  To verify that your Form 4852 agrees with the income and tax withholding your employer reported to the IRS, you can request a Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS.

Form 4852 is a substitute for Form W-2.  When you use TurboTax, we'll ask you a few questions to estimate your total wages and withholding using your final pay stub, and fill out Form 4852 based on your answers. 

The IRS doesn't allow Form 4852 to be filed electronically, so you'll need to paper file your tax return by printing out the necessary forms and mailing them to the IRS.

It might take the IRS longer than normal to process your return while it verifies your information.  If you don't mind waiting, you can request an extension. This gives you additional months to get your W-2 and file a return.

Just keep in mind that you still need to pay any taxes due by the tax deadline, so an extension to file isn't an extension of time to pay any taxes you may owe.

Otherwise, the IRS will add interest and perhaps penalties to the amount due when you eventually file your extended return.

If you can't get a W-2 from your employer, you have the option to file a substitute W-2 form, also called Form 4852. 

Here's how:

3. Enter the Employer ID Number (EIN) if you know it, or leave it blank, then select Continue.
  5. Enter your employer's name, address, and Employer ID Number (EIN). There are a few ways to find your employer’s EIN if you don’t have your W-2.
  6. Complete the requested W-2 information using your most recent pay stubs to estimate your total income and total taxes paid (including federal, state, and local taxes).
  7. Continue to the screen, Let's check for uncommon situations and select Didn't get a W-2.

After we have this info, we'll ask you a few follow-up questions to complete Form 4852. Once you're finished, we'll give you a chance to print a copy for your records. We strongly recommend you do this so you have a record of what you earned and what you contributed to Social Security.

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Here's how:

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Here's how:

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS, since you cannot contact your employer, you would need to contact them at 800-829-1040 for helps with the next steps to get your lost W-2.

What To Do If You Haven't Received a W-2

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies