tara-sjcenter

I lost 50% of my field of vision in each eye due to optical nerve atrophy, am I legally blind?

DanPaul02

I am so sorry you are going through this problem.  Discuss the following definition with your eyecare professional:

The IRS defines legal blindness as being unable to see better than 20/200 in your better eye even with corrective eyeglasses or contacts, or having a field of vision less than 20 degrees.

Higher Standard Deduction for Blindness

If you are blind on the last day of the year and you don't itemize deductions, you are entitled to a higher standard deduction.

Not totally blind.    If you aren't totally blind, you must get a certified statement from an eye doctor (ophthalmologist or optometrist) that:

1You can't see better than 20/200 in the better eye with glasses or contact lenses, or

2Your field of vision is 20 degrees or less. 

If your eye condition isn't likely to improve beyond these limits, the statement should include this fact. Keep the statement in your records.

If your vision can be corrected beyond these limits only by contact lenses that you can wear only briefly because of pain, infection, or ulcers, you can take the higher standard deduction for blindness if you otherwise qualify.