Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived in 4 different states last year, but I only see the option to enter in 2 of them

Where do I enter in the last 2 states?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I lived in 4 different states last year, but I only see the option to enter in 2 of them

For tax purposes, you don't actually become a resident of 4 different states during the year...so you are going to have to explain yourself more.

EXAMPLEs: 

1) you have a home state, and you travel around working. Where you edit your name on the Personal Info page, you only indicate your home state and do not indicate you "moved" anywhere.  Then at the bottom of the Personal Info page, you put int the other 3 states a "Other States" you had income from.  You'll file a Resident tax return for your home state and non-resident tax returns for the three others  (unless any of those were non-income-tax states, like TX, or Fl or WA)

or

2)  You started the year in your home state, and hit two others to work temp jobs before ending up in the final one where you have now established all of your home and personal belongings, and now have a new Driver's Lisc. in that final state.  Then, where you edit your name on the Personal Info page, you will indicate your move....but just form the first state to the final one.   The date of your move would be the date you entered that final state. Then at the bottom of the Personal Info page, you put int the other 2 states a "Other States" you had income from.  You were only in those states temporarily and not long enough to become a real resident.   That will set up part-year tax returns for the first and last state, and non-resident tax returns for the middle two (again, assuming all are income-taxing states

in either case, plan on spending a few weeks working out the details of each form....print out the forms every few days, review them and get them right before actually filing.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

For tax purposes, you don't actually become a resident of 4 different states during the year...so you are going to have to explain yourself more.

EXAMPLEs: 

1) you have a home state, and you travel around working. Where you edit your name on the Personal Info page, you only indicate your home state and do not indicate you "moved" anywhere.  Then at the bottom of the Personal Info page, you put int the other 3 states a "Other States" you had income from.  You'll file a Resident tax return for your home state and non-resident tax returns for the three others  (unless any of those were non-income-tax states, like TX, or Fl or WA)

or

2)  You started the year in your home state, and hit two others to work temp jobs before ending up in the final one where you have now established all of your home and personal belongings, and now have a new Driver's Lisc. in that final state.  Then, where you edit your name on the Personal Info page, you will indicate your move....but just form the first state to the final one.   The date of your move would be the date you entered that final state. Then at the bottom of the Personal Info page, you put int the other 2 states a "Other States" you had income from.  You were only in those states temporarily and not long enough to become a real resident.   That will set up part-year tax returns for the first and last state, and non-resident tax returns for the middle two (again, assuming all are income-taxing states

in either case, plan on spending a few weeks working out the details of each form....print out the forms every few days, review them and get them right before actually filing.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

But if you are still wandering around to different states...then you likely need to keep using #1.  RV travelers and retired folks who wander from state to state doing temp work in National parks use #1.  They have a home-base state.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies