malayla90

I lived at a different address all year but moved in december,

the new address i live at someone else will be filing HOH but because of my dependants from last year the system is trying to make me file HOH. how do i just file single and let him file HOH.do I just use the address I lived at most of the year or should I use my new address

AnnetteB

You should use your current address for filing your tax return. 

It is the address that the IRS will use to contact you about your return or mail your refund check if necessary.  If you used an old address, you may not receive that important mail.

If you file your return using the appropriate filing status for your situation during 2016 and there is a question about the address shown on the return, the IRS may ask you for some documentation showing your address during 2016. 

Otherwise, you can choose to file using the Single filing status by changing the filing status in the Personal Info section of your return.  Use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “filing status” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to filing status

• Click on the blue “Jump to filing status” link

• Click Edit beside Filing Status to change it

AnnetteB