turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jwchuber

I keep getting a "Check This Entry" that says: Fm 1099-B Worksheet: Noncovered Sec -17 applies oly a trans repted on Fm 1099B. Do not ent.... How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CapB

I keep getting a "Check This Entry" that says: Fm 1099-B Worksheet: Noncovered Sec -17 applies oly a trans repted on Fm 1099B. Do not ent.... How do I fix this?

If you don't need any Form 1099-B's you can delete the Form.

To delete a Form 1099-B

• From the Menu, select: Tax Tools>Tools>Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet and follow the onscreen instructions.

OR

To edit a Form 1099-B

1. Sign in to TurboTax
  2. Select "Take me to my return"
  3. Type "Form 1099-B" in the "Search" option and press enter
  4. Click on "Jump to 1099-B"
  5. Select "Yes" on the "Did you sell any investments in 2017?" screen
  6. Click "Edit" on the "Here's the investment sales info we have so far" screen to edit.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
CapB

If you don't need any Form 1099-B's you can delete the Form.

To delete a Form 1099-B

• From the Menu, select: Tax Tools>Tools>Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet and follow the onscreen instructions.

OR

To edit a Form 1099-B

1. Sign in to TurboTax
  2. Select "Take me to my return"
  3. Type "Form 1099-B" in the "Search" option and press enter
  4. Click on "Jump to 1099-B"
  5. Select "Yes" on the "Did you sell any investments in 2017?" screen
  6. Click "Edit" on the "Here's the investment sales info we have so far" screen to edit.

I get the the same error, but the transaction is real, shows on my paper 1099B and gets electronically imported into TT from my broker, which causes the noncovered security box 16 of the 1099B worksheet to get checked, which causes the error.  Clearing that box might cause the IRS to see a mismatch between my filing and that of my broker, prompting an audit (perhaps attributable to TT logic bug).  ** How do we avoid this?
Monaco

Just ran into this issue myself and took some time to figure it out. Don't delete the 1099-B worksheet as it may impact your refund. Go back to “income” section where 1099-B information is entered and make sure coding for “box” is correct. After adjusting from Box C to Box B and Box F to Box E to correctly match my 1099-B info and then re-processed the review, this issue went away and was resolved.

pixman20

Ah, thank you!!! This just saved me hours (more heh).

In case it helps anyone else, after you go into the "income" section, you select to edit the brokerage that was having the issue.  Then after answering a few questions, you can edit each individual section.

Also, if someone runs into a similar issue where they get this error, the 1099-B import will add sections that aren't reported to IRS when importing from Robinhood and other similar companies, causing numbers to be off when TurboTax is wrapping up. It then will make you walk through every entry to verify it is right to make sure your numbers add up. If there is a section of your 1099-B that is Not Reported to the IRS, make sure on the import that TurboTax did not accidentally add this to your list. I had to delete one transaction at the very end of my 10 pages of transactions to remove this error. Hope this helps someone! Saved me HOURS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! This was the exact issue I was running into as well.

I'm really confused here. I think this is a loop. It tells me it can't e-file and I have to fix something. then it takes me to "Check This Entry" about something in 1099-B. And I don't see any option to change or choose. I hit continue and then I'm back at "fix forms"  again

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You need to go back through your form 1095-B entries and make sure you entered everything correctly on them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This was exactly my problem, thank you!!  The last 2 lines of my 1099-B were Box C (not reported to IRS).  I removed those 2 transactions and off it went.

I am having same problem. Why does not turbo tax fix this problem. I do not want to go through all the pages and match each entry from 1099B.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately and fortunately as well, you need to and should verify that the import is correct.  You should go back to the 1099-B entries and look at them to verify reported categories and eliminate any stray entries as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
liudawg

I got stuck at this step for like an hour, eventually the 1099 B worksheet loaded and it was asking to verify "Cost Basis/Adjustment" but with over 400 transactions I had absolutely no idea which transaction it was referring to and I wasn't about to sift through them one by one.  So I went back and deleted the 1099 import altogether and input it myself - instead of inputting each transaction individually you can just enter the totals i.e. short term covered/long-term covered proceeds and cost and then upload the 1099 as an attachment.  Thank goodness for this option otherwise I would've thrown my computer out the window.

The error that you see is due to a rounding issue.  

Here is how to fix the issue in TurboTax:

You will need to revisit the input section for the Form 1099-B transactions.  Use the following steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-B” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-B
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-B” link
  • Click Edit beside the institution name
  • Click Edit beside each transaction that contains a wash sale adjustment amount of $0.49 or less
  • Delete the wash sale adjustment amount and click Done

Here is a TurboTax article that explains Form 1099-B Proceeds from Broker transactions

How Form 1099-B is used

The 1099-B helps you deal with capital gains taxes. Usually, when you sell something for more than it cost you to acquire it, the profit is a capital gain, and it may be taxable. On the other hand, if you sell something for less than you paid for it, then you may have a capital loss, which you might be able to use to reduce your taxable capital gains or other income.

Your directions are perfect.  I received a "Check this entry" message and couldn't change on the page that opened.  My wash amount was for .08.  Following your steps and going to edit area and deleting amount in box 1g made all the difference.  After doing that, e-file was completed.  Best advice I could find. Step-by-step instructions and reason behind error makes so much sense.  Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies