Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I just want to change that I didn’t pay for half of my living expenses

2 Replies
Level 7
Level 7

I just want to change that I didn’t pay for half of my living expenses

Have you already filed your tax return?

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
Expert Alumni

I just want to change that I didn’t pay for half of my living expenses

You can change that you do not pay more than 50% of your living expenses.


  1. Open TurboTax
  2. Select My Info
  3. Choose [Edit] next to your name
  4. Continue through interview to Did (You) pay for more than half of his living expenses?
  5. Answer NO

If you haven't filed your taxes you can continue with your return.


If you have already filled your taxes the first step is to wait and see if it is Accepted or Rejected. 

  • If it is Rejected you will be able to correct the rejection error and your personal information.
  • If it is Accepted you will have to wait and file an amended tax return:
    • If you're getting a refund wait until the refund comes in.
    • If you owe money wait at least two weeks before filing the amended return.  (This is so that the IRS has time to process the original return.)

To amend a return 

Some quick ground rules:

  1. Be sure the original return was filed and accepted.
  2. DO NOT go back into the return or change anything before you start the amendment process.
  3. Gather everything you need before you start.
  4. Complete the entire amendment process before you log out.
  5. Starting with 2020 tax returns you can E-File a 1040-X amended tax return.  All prior years must be printed and mailed.

 You can correct a return that you've already filed and had accepted.  Select the year that applies and use this guide to proceed.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

For additional information please refer to  How to Amend

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings