I just started a new job and must fill out a W4. I was unemployed for most of the year and have already paid more taxes than I expect to owe. What should I write on my W4 in order not to have taxes withheld from my paycheck? “Exempt”? Or should I claim a

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just started a new job and must fill out a W4. I was unemployed for most of the year and have already paid more taxes than I expect to owe. What should I write on my W4 in order not to have taxes withheld from my paycheck? “Exempt”? Or should I claim a

4 Replies
Level 15

NEVER EVER PICK EXEMPT !!!!!

Instead increase the allowances on line 5 of the W-4 to get the desired withholding you seek. To guarantee no withholding enter 10 on line 5. 

Level 15

If you make such an adjustment, plan to submit another W-4 in December for 2018.

Thank you, this is very helpful!
Level 15

Remember State taxes as well.
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings