Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maksim-h

I just started a new job and must fill out a W4. I was unemployed for most of the year and have already paid more taxes than I expect to owe. What should I write on my W4 in order not to have taxes withheld from my paycheck? “Exempt”? Or should I claim a

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I just started a new job and must fill out a W4. I was unemployed for most of the year and have already paid more taxes than I expect to owe. What should I write on my W4 in order not to have taxes withheld from my paycheck? “Exempt”? Or should I claim a

NEVER EVER PICK EXEMPT !!!!!

Instead increase the allowances on line 5 of the W-4 to get the desired withholding you seek. To guarantee no withholding enter 10 on line 5. 

If you make such an adjustment, plan to submit another W-4 in December for 2018.
maksim-h

Thank you, this is very helpful!

Remember State taxes as well.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies