Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I installed a new central air conditioning unit in my home. Can I take a $300 tax credit? Turbo Tax states that "Qualified air conditioning units" qualify.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I installed a new central air conditioning unit in my home. Can I take a $300 tax credit? Turbo Tax states that "Qualified air conditioning units" qualify.

Please see the information in this Help article.

Can I claim energy-efficient appliances or energy-saving home improvements?

You can't claim Energy Star appliances or water-saving improvements like low-flow toilets, low-flow shower-heads, or xeriscaping on your federal return. However, many state and local governments and utility companies offer incentives or rebates for energy- or water-saving home improvements. An online search will reveal what your state has to offer (for example, you might search for Arizona toilet rebate or California water saving incentives).

Under the Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit, you can get a federal tax credit for installing alternative energy equipment, such as solar electric property, solar water heaters, geothermal heat pumps, small wind turbines, and fuel cell property.

If you made energy efficient improvements to your home like energy-saving roofs, windows, skylights, and doors, you'll be able to claim the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit for 10% of amounts paid for qualified energy efficiency improvements, up to a lifetime cap of $500 or fixed dollar amounts ranging from $50 to $300 for energy efficient property, including furnaces, boilers, biomass stoves, heat pumps, water heaters, central air conditioners, and circulating fans.

Related Information:

The list of items I can claim includes "Qualified central air conditioners".  How do I know if I installed a qualified central air conditioner?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You can check with the manufacturer. From IRS instructions:

"Manufacturer’s certification. For purposes of taking the credit, you can rely on a manufacturer’s certification in writing that a building envelope component is an eligible building envelope component. Don't attach the certification to your return. Keep it for your records."

See this LINK for more information.

I installed a qualified central air conditioning unit that qualifies for the $300 energy efficiency improvement credit, however, in TurboTax Deluxe, there is no option in the list of improvements for central air, it only shows windows, roof, insulation, air circulating fan, furnaces.  Where can I enter the central air conditioner to get the $300 credit.  

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax help article for assistance with entering your energy-saving items:

Where do I enter qualified energy-saving improvements?

@BCR412

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, I found that article, but it doesn't give the full answer.  When in the list of energy efficiency improvements, you must click on 'Learn More' to find the one that has the central air conditioner included in it... it was titled something like 'Energy Efficient Building Property' and was not intuitive to have central air conditioning under it.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Continue to the screen Tell us how much you paid for Energy-Saving Improvement.

Scroll down and enter the amount under Energy Efficient Building.

When you click on learn more next to Energy Efficient Building Property, you get the box with samples of what is included under building property.

Examples include: electric heat pump water heater, central air conditioner, natural gas, propane, or oil water heater.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies