fernguyen

I have Turbotax Home & Business. I've used standard deduction for my federal return and want to itemize for my state but it skips over this option. How do I change it?

IreneS

What state?
fernguyen

Hawaii 🙂
IreneS

You must enter your deductions on the federal side of the return by clicking on Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits.

Once you enter the deductions, TurboTax will automatically figure which is more advantageous for you on your Hawaii return--standard or itemized deductions.

You can see which option was selected by looking at Form N-11 in Forms Mode.  To do this

1. Click on the Forms icon on the top right of your screen. [Screenshot #1, below.]
  2. Find Form N-11 in the Forms in My Return list on your left.  Click on it to open. [Screenshot #2]
  3. Scroll down to lines 21-24.  You should see your itemized deductions on line 21a-f.

fernguyen

I think there may be a glitch b/c a quick manual calculation, my state itemized deduction is higher than the standard - same as last year.  Was on the phone w/ customer service and I had to send my taxes to TT Techs to check the diagnostics b/c they couldn't figure it out either... we'll figure it out hopefully sooner than later.  Ty though! 🙂
alkinea

Hi,

I have a similar issue. Turbotax doesn't offer me the choice to try itemized deductions on the HI taxes, and when I see the form (lines 21-22) they are empty. I tried other suggestions, like forcing the federal to use itemized, but it doesn't change anything on the state side.
Last year it did work automatically.

Thanks