Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have to pay federal taxes this year. When I printed the return, it printed a voucher for the entire amount and then 4 vouchers for payments. Which method do I use?

Also, if I e-filed, do I have to send a copy of my return in with my payment?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have to pay federal taxes this year. When I printed the return, it printed a voucher for the entire amount and then 4 vouchers for payments. Which method do I use?

The one voucher for the entire amount is for the 2016 taxes.

The other 4 vouchers are estimated tax payments for the 2017 taxes.  So it the income stays about the same for 2017, then doing the 4 estimated tax payments would help so you don't owe again a year from now, or get an underpayment penalty.

If you don't want to do the 4 estimated payments, then just shred them and make sure you pay the taxes for 2016, by April 18, 2017 to avoid late charges. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The one voucher for the entire amount is for the 2016 taxes.

The other 4 vouchers are estimated tax payments for the 2017 taxes.  So it the income stays about the same for 2017, then doing the 4 estimated tax payments would help so you don't owe again a year from now, or get an underpayment penalty.

If you don't want to do the 4 estimated payments, then just shred them and make sure you pay the taxes for 2016, by April 18, 2017 to avoid late charges. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies