Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have primary custody of my granddaughter, how would I file for income tax for her

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LeeM

I have primary custody of my granddaughter, how would I file for income tax for her

Yes, as long as she meets the following rules:

A qualifying child meets all six of the following conditions: 

• Relationship:?The person is your child, foster child, adopted child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister or a descendent of one of these (for example, grandchild, niece or nephew). 

• Residence:?The person lives in your home for more than half the year. If he or she is temporarily absent, that still counts as time living in your home. A temporary absence could be time spent at college or boarding school, or time away for medical care, military service or juvenile detention. 

• Age:?The person is age 18 or under at the end of 2015, or a full-time student age 23 or under. If the person is disabled, there is no age limit. 

• Support:?The person doesn’t provide more than half of his or her own support. 

• Nationality:?The person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. An adopted child?who doesn’t meet this requirement but lives with you for the entire year can be your dependent, as long as you’re a U.S. citizen. 

• Marital status:?Generally, a married dependent can’t file a joint tax return with a spouse. The only exception is when the married dependent files a joint return only to get a refund of taxes paid (no tax credits are received) and, if separate returns are filed, neither the dependent nor spouse would have a tax liability. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies