Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

llopardo

I have never owed. I claim S0 and add'l 10 $'s on fed & state, how could I owe? Plus there is a 414H i cont to, that is also adding addtl tax that i already paid tax on.

Did the employer  take enough tax? Why is the 414H adding to my state tax lability when i paid tax on my check already?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I have never owed. I claim S0 and add'l 10 $'s on fed & state, how could I owe? Plus there is a 414H i cont to, that is also adding addtl tax that i already paid tax on.

You are reporting a 414H contribution in box 14 of your W-2?  This amount may be taxable income in some states.  What is your resident state?  What is the retirement system that the 414H made payment to?

Do have reason to think that Box 14 reference 414H of your W-2 has been included in Box 1 income?  That would be unusual.  Have you received guidance on this matter from your payroll provider or Human Resources office?

Are you able to verify your Box 1 income by comparing your W-2 to your final paystub for 2022?  If so, you may be able to determine whether the 414H amount has been added to Box 1 income.

@llopardo 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You are reporting a 414H contribution in box 14 of your W-2?  This amount may be taxable income in some states.  What is your resident state?  What is the retirement system that the 414H made payment to?

Do have reason to think that Box 14 reference 414H of your W-2 has been included in Box 1 income?  That would be unusual.  Have you received guidance on this matter from your payroll provider or Human Resources office?

Are you able to verify your Box 1 income by comparing your W-2 to your final paystub for 2022?  If so, you may be able to determine whether the 414H amount has been added to Box 1 income.

@llopardo 

llopardo

HI - thanks so much for the input. The confusion came in because my HR dept. said I was taxed for it during the year by NY state. However, it is not in my Box 1, you are correct.  When I enter the box 14 it needs a reason, when I enter in the taxable ( because it is in NY) it taxes me about another $100 bucks or so. The payroll dept. said I was taxed on it during the year, are they incorrect? Why would I pay at the end?  Also, i have S-0 plus additional 10$ for federal and state, not sure they are pulling enough because how do i owe to federal, never have. 

llopardo

And I am sorry, yes I am reporting 414 in box 14.  Retirement system is Employee Retirement system for NYS Thank you. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

414(h) contributions are deductible against federal taxable income, which is why it is not showing in Box 1 of your W-2.

New York does not have a similar deduction so the amount is added back into your income.

See Public employee 414(h) retirement contributions and New York City flexible benefits program (IRC 125....

As to why you owe tax, no one can tell you that unless we can look at a sanitized copy of your return with all your personal information removed. Please follow the steps to get a diagnostic token and post the number.

If you are using CD/Download, select Online in the top left, then Send Tax File to Agent.

If you are using TurboTax Online, tap Tax Tools in the left column. Then Tools. In the center box, select Share my file with Agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies