Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have my w2 forms from 2018 and 2019. I am getting a really small refund. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Before worrying about the amount of the refund, you need to clear something up first.

Why did you mention "W-2 forms from 2018 and 2019?" 

Hopefully, you did NOT enter the two W-2s from different tax years into this year's Online TurboTax, which is only for 2019.  Please clarify what you have done.  Did you make that mistake?   Each tax year needs its own separate tax return.  We can tell you more when you explain that more, and it becomes clear what you've done.

If you made that mistake of preparing 2018 and 2019 returns together, be sure you do NOT file it that way, or you'll have a big problem.

Or are you saying you are comparing your 2018 filed return with your 2019 finished return and used the wrong terminology?

You only need to enter your W-2 for 2019 in TurboTax 2019.  Your refund is based on the Federal tax due and the Federal tax amount withheld.  The refund can be increased by any credits you qualify for such as Education credits (Am. Opp. Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit), Earned Income Tax Credit (must be low-income with dependent), and Child Tax Credit.  If it's just you, your refund is tax owed minus tax withheld.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies