Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tonyz0212
Returning Member

I have my health insurance covered by employer, but I forgot to remove myself from my parent's insurance

After adding my parent's 1095a information to turbotax, my refund amount got minus about $2000.
( I forgot to remove myself from my parent's health insurance )

It's my first job and my first time getting health insurance covered by employer. I somehow assumed that getting a new insurance will cancel my old insurance automatically.

Is there a way for me to fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I have my health insurance covered by employer, but I forgot to remove myself from my parent's insurance

When dependents are on their parents' ACA policy, it is common for the three people to allocate all the premiums and cost to the parents, leaving the dependent a bunch of zeros. This is because the parents normally paid the premiums so should get the benefits of any Premium Tax Credit anyway.

Look at this Community thread and especially look at the links in the last post for a description of how to enter these allocations.

AND get off your parents' ACA policy ASAP (i.e., call the Marketplace where they got their policy). You are already insured, so it is just causing you and your parents hassle.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies