Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aclawson1

I have multiple dependents and have had my return rejected twice with code IND-517-01. How do I know which of my dependents this is for?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have multiple dependents and have had my return rejected twice with code IND-517-01. How do I know which of my dependents this is for?

E-file reject IND-517-01 usually happens when you claim a dependent, but that person has filed a tax return and didn’t indicate that someone else can claim them as a dependent.

This error cannot be fixed.  Your return will have to be mailed. Use a tracking service. 

the dependent, probably the first listed, will need to amend their return AFTER it is fully processed.   Ask each dependent to see their return to make sure it's just one of them. 

Amended return are taking the IRS 5 months or longer to review. 

I agree.  You cannot fix a return when there is duplicate use of a Social Security number.   If you have a teenager or student who filed a tax return, it is a very common mistake for them to say no one else can claim them as a dependent.   You cannot e-file---your return claiming them has to be filed by mail.   Or in the event where someone else used that SSN even by mistake and put it on a tax return, you will not be able to e-file.  The only way you can claim your dependent is to file by mail.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

If in fact your dependent is the one who made the mistake, they need to wait for their return to be fully processed and then amend.

MY DEPENDENT SAID HE COULD NOT BE CLAIMED

Your dependent filed a return without saying he could be claimed on your return and your return was rejected?  AFTER his return has been fully processed and he has received his refund, he has to file an amended return that says he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  Amended returns must be prepared on a Form 1040X.  It takes the IRS at least four  to six months to process an amended return.

Meanwhile, since your e-filed return has been rejected, you now have to print and mail it in to the IRS.  You will not be able to e-file. You do not have to wait for your dependent’s amended return to be processed.  Remember that when you mail a return, you need to include copies of your W-2, etc. with your return.  Use a mailing service like certified mail that will track it so you will know that the IRS received it.

For your dependent:

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

When they amend —The dependent needs to go to MY INFO, click their name, and go to the question that asked if they can be claimed as someone else’s dependent.  The answer needs to be YES.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies