Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MenloMan

I have made angel investments in startups previously. Two of these startups went out of business in 2018. Where do I report these losses in TurboTax Home & Business Mac?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cindy0H

I have made angel investments in startups previously. Two of these startups went out of business in 2018. Where do I report these losses in TurboTax Home & Business Mac?

Please enter this loss in TurboTax just as you would the sale or disposition of other capital assets.  It does not matter that you did not receive a For 1099-B from a brokerage.  Just be sure that you've kept good tax records of your loss, in case you are ever asked about it or your return is examined. Here's how:

1. Choose Personal >> Personal Income, then I’ll Choose What I Work On. 
  2. Investment Income >> Stocks, Mutual Funds >> Start/Update. 
  3. Type of Investment: Everything Else
  4. Enter a description, Net Proceeds = $0, and date of sale = date of dissolution.
  5. Acquired: Whatever method
  6. Cost Basis: your investment
  7. Date of Acquisition: date you made your investment

TurboTax will calculate the loss on this investment and determine if it was short- or long-term. If you have other capital gains, the loss will offset some or all of the gains. Otherwise, up to $3,000 of the capital loss will go to line 13 of Schedule 1 and will offset other income. The remaining loss over $3,000 will be carried forward each year until used up (applied to capital gains and/or ordinary income).

If you have other questions about this, ask in the comment section below.

MenloMan

How would enter the loss as a Section 1244 Stock loss in TurboTax.  Thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies