Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have errors on Form 1099-B Worksheet Morgan Stanley Capital Asset Sales worksheet

I've imported form 1099 b from Morgan Stanley, it required review.  Turbo Tax is asking for an "Adjustment Amount".  I'm getting this message.

Check this Entry.  Form 1099-B Worksheet (Morgan Stanley Capital MGMT) -- Capital Asset Sales Wksht (1): Adjustment Amount must have a value when an adjustment code (other than C, M, or T) is entered.

What value is needed??

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

166 Replies

I have errors on Form 1099-B Worksheet Morgan Stanley Capital Asset Sales worksheet

I have the exact same error.  Not really obvious how to fix it.  I have Before and After trade purchase transactions and the After ones are correct.

I am getting this also! I am unsure of how to proceed.

Same error message here! 

I solved this problem. I backed out the MS download and entered it manually.

No issues. Either MS has an issue or TT. 

tzaldua

My CX has this same issue. His MS/Etrade (same company) statement has hundreds of transactions and he cannot manually input into TT. He must download the 1099B. Is there another way to resolve this issue?

I have the same issue, this is beyond infuriating.  

Right, manually entering isn't a very good workaround either.

stuck in the same spot... im kind of thinking 0 is the answer, since all of these are stock liquidation sales, where i sold all holdings.

but ill await the correct answer

I found a solution.  This worked for me.   

Exit from the error check window.  This is important.  DO NOT try to edit Form 8949 directly.  You can enter the adjustment amount on the Capital Asset Sales Worksheet.   Go into Forms View and you will find this worksheet.  It is listed as Cap Asset Sales in the left side tree.  You will probably see the error show up here too.  Put a 0 into column G.  It will probably be highlighted, and you can see it is blank.  Do this for each error.  Close Forms View and run the error check again. 

This worked for me.  Good luck.

I have the same errors from a Morgan Stanley etrade import.

Normal asset sales show with adjustment code N and the validation refuses to let me proceed as it isnt in the list of codes it accepts ( C, M, T)  without a value.

Having to manually enter 0 for several dozen transactions  to get past this broken ui validation rule isnt ok.

For some reason the N adjustment code comes in for wash sales as well and Turbotax won't let you proceed with any code at all if you have something in box 1G.  It says you have to delete the code but if you do, it just adds it right back in.  It seems like this is only happening for 1 of the 2 import files from Etrade.  I tried to manually add in the 2 transactions with a wash sale and it just adds in a code of N anyways.  I have no idea how to get around this.

Same with me from Morgan Stanley E*Trade 89 Errors

I sure hope they fix this as I just corrected all the none reported entries and lots and it took a very long time so do NOT want to have to do it again!!

Same annoying problem.

Agreed - Manually re-entering a large quantity of these transactions (>5) is not a feasible workaround. I have 30+ which I really don't want to manually re-enter.  That's like manually typing everything on a typewriter!

Downloading transactions are expected to SAVE TIME!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies