Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have already prepared my 2023 personal federal tax return. My friend's computer said that only 5 returns can be filed electronically. How do I file mine electronically?

You have not answered my question. I need help to electronically file my 2023 tax that had already been prepared. Give me a link to transmit it and pay for the required fee.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have already prepared my 2023 personal federal tax return. My friend's computer said that only 5 returns can be filed electronically. How do I file mine electronically?

Once the 5 free e-files have been used with the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions, then any further tax returns have to be printed and mailed.

If you want to e-file the 2023 tax return, then you will need to start a 2023 tax return using the TurboTax online editions.  The tax data file for 2023 from the desktop editions cannot be imported to the 2023 TurboTax online editions.

Go to this TurboTax website for the online editions to start a tax return - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/file-your-own-taxes/

Are you trying to efile a return from a computer that already has filed 5 returns?  If so, you will have to mail your return. 

Each instance of turbotax (serial number) can only e-file 5 returns.  That's an IRS rule.  You said you were using your friend's computer?  You have three options.

1. Buy your own copy of the program, install on your own computer, register with your own e-mail address.  You should be able to e-file from there.

2. Prepare your return using Turbotax Online (register an account under your own name and e-mail address), pay a separate fee unless you qualify to file for free, and e-file.

3. Print your return from your friend's computer and mail it to the IRS for no additional cost (except stamps). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies