Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a youtube channel where I review toys. For all the toys that I purchase to make the videos, which section in expense do I put it in when using Turbotax?

Also, after I'm done making a video with the toy, I give it away or donate it.

How do I report this in Turbotax? 

Thank You

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I have a youtube channel where I review toys. For all the toys that I purchase to make the videos, which section in expense do I put it in when using Turbotax?

If you do not have any income, from this activity, to report; you do not get to deduct any expenses.
If you donate the toys to an organized charity, you may claim a charitable deduction; but that is only an itemized deduction.  Type> charitable donation <in the find box.

Yes, I have income. Received a 1099-MISC. I would like to expense the toys as props for the videos. Where do I put this expense in Turbotax? After making the video, I have no use for the toys so I need to get rid of them. Can I still get a tax deduction for donating the toys after expensing them? I don't mind if I can't, I'm OK with the cost of the toys being part of the cost to create the video. I'm just not sure if I need a specific way to show that I gave the toys away and that I don't have it anymore. Thanks for the help.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Can I still get a tax deduction for donating the toys after expensing them?

A. No. That would be double dipping.

But, you may not be able to  deduct the cost to buy them. The problem is that after using them, for your video, you convert them to personal use. Whether you give them as gifts or donate them charity; it's still personal use.  If you give them to charity, you can deduct the value, as a charitable donation. But you must take the deduction, on Schedule A, not Schedule C.

You would be better off selling them. then you could deduct the cost, if you reported the sale  price as income. 

If you throw them away, then you can deduct the cost, as the income (sale price) was zero. 

You can enter the cost as "Supplies". Some might argue, they should be treated as inventory. But since they are not your product, I would not

Thank You for your answer.
I would prefer not to deal with selling the toys. There are hundreds of toys. And if I sell them, wouldn't I need to keep track of inventory? Not write the toys off as a expense but as inventory and deduct it as COGS when it's actually sold?
I really do not want to keep track and store inventory and selling hundreds of toys.

Isn't there any way to expense the toys as a one time production cost to the video or something?

What are all the youtubers or other content creators out there doing with all the item/s they use to make their video/content? Or what are accountant that are handling youtubers/content creators doing?

For toys that are less than $50, can you just expense it like supplies or some expense that are in the cost range?
Any way to use the De Minimis Safe Harbor Election and write off the more expensive toys a expense instead of a asset? If so, again which expense category should it be under?

Thank You

Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm sorry. My answer was badly worded (mistyping). I've now corrected it.  

If you throw them away (do not convert to personal use), then you can deduct the cost, as they were used for business only. You can enter the cost as "Supplies".

Thank you again.

What do you think about writing off the more expensive toys(couple hundred dollars) as a expense and electing the De Minimis Safe Harbor?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies