Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a W-2 form for a Catering company that traveled. Though I never worked in North Carlolina that is the address of the company listed. So do I file in that state?

Also, if I paid for my own flights, do I list that as a travel expense? (2 to Atlanta, 1 to Ft. Lauderdale )
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I have a W-2 form for a Catering company that traveled. Though I never worked in North Carlolina that is the address of the company listed. So do I file in that state?

It depends where you performed the services for which you were paid. If most of your work occurred in your home state (not North Carolina), you would not normally file a NC state income tax return.

You may deduct unreimbursed travel costs as Job-Related Employee Expenses on Schedule A.

Employee business deductions are reported on Schedule A (Itemized Deductions) as Miscellaneous Expenses. Your total Miscellaneous Expenses must exceed 2 percent of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in order to be included on your Schedule A.

To easily find this area of TurboTax, use the Search box, type in "job expenses, employee", and jump to the start of this section.

Travel Expenses are found on the page titled, "Any Other Expenses?" (see screenshot below - click to enlarge). Check the blue links "Learn More" for additional help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies