I have a question about dependents

My daughter that is 8 years old was living with my all of 2016. I am preparing myself to do my taxes and I asked the mother of my child for her SSN and the mother informed me that she had already claimed my daughter in her taxes for 2016. What can I do because she did not ask permission nor was my daughter under her care for 2016?

AmyW

I have a question about dependents

If your dependent was claimed when they should not have been, you can ask the other party to amend the return. If they will not remove the dependent, you may file on paper. The IRS will contact both parties to determine who is entitled to claim the dependents, and will credit the person that met the requirements. If it is determined that the other party should not have claimed the dependent, the IRS will make them pay back the exemption along with any penalties or interest associated with their false claim.

AmyW

I have a question about dependents

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing