omarmayala

I have a itin number but my wife is a us citizen and we have two children can i use them has my dependents? Would we still get the child tax credit?

You should be able to claim the children as your dependents under the Qualifying Child rules if they meet all the requirements.  For the Child Tax Credit the child must be under the age of 17 on the last day of the tax year.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child. 

6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.

7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

Do the children have Social Security numbers or an ITIN?
omarmayala

My wife and the children have ssn
omarmayala

My wife doesn't work because she receives asi benefits for our son a monthly but they go by my income
omarmayala

How much should be the child tax credit

The child tax credit is $1,000 per child.  However it is a nonrefundable tax credit which means that if the credit reduces your tax liability to zero then no more of the credit can be used.  Then you may be eligible for the Additional Child Tax Credit.  The TurboTax program will handle this credit automatically for you.

To be a Qualifying Child -