Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mslee52

I have $1,976 in federal taxes due this year why do I always pay and not receive?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have $1,976 in federal taxes due this year why do I always pay and not receive?

That is because your total tax liabilities is greater than your total tax payments.  You might want to consider increasing the amount of taxes that are withheld from your wages in 2023.  You will need to give your employer a new W-4.

Go to this IRS website for a withholding calculator - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

taxpayers that receive refunds are loaning the government money and not being compensated. Owing is not bad unless you have difficulty paying the balance due.  Some taxpayers do have problems saving so they would have problems paying. They use the government as a no-interest bank account.

the basic rules to avoid underpayment penalties 

1) pay in timely through withholding and estimated tax payments 90% of the current year tax or

2) pay in timely through withholding and estimated tax payments100% (110% if that year's adjusted gross income is over $150K ) of the prior year's tax

state law vary.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies