Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I had fax the form 1095a and 8962 to the irs today, will my refund go up or still be same, how long will it take the irs to processed the forms

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

44 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I had fax the form 1095a and 8962 to the irs today, will my refund go up or still be same, how long will it take the irs to processed the forms

It depends.  Your refund may go up or down.  If you used TurboTax to complete the forms you can review an updated page 2 of your 1040, which will show your new refund amount.

The documents you faxed to the IRS are either part of the reconciliation of the Advanced Premium Tax Credit or you needed to account for the allocation of your tax credit if your marketplace policy was shared with another taxpayer.  This will delay your refund.  The notice you received from the IRS provides information on how long your refund will be delayed.  More than likely it's 6 to 8 weeks from when they receive your documents.

See the TurboTax FAQ below for more information.  The same information applies to the 2017 tax year.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5824742

Okay

Im having this same issue this year. Turbo tax didn't even ask for this info so needless to say this is my last time using TurboTax. Anyhoot, how long did this delay your refund once you sent it in? DId the IRS let you know they recieved it?

KMahala

This happened to others not using TurboTax. A coworker of mine used H&R Block, I used TurboTax and we both ran into this problem. 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

It is possible that your refund may change either up or down.  The change will be dependent on the difference between the Advanced Premium Tax Credit APTC you received and the actual credit you are due.  If your APTC was less than you are due your refund should go up and if your APTC was more than you are due your refund will be less.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Looks like I am not the only person who has had this issue. I know in previous years the questions were asked whether or not I had insurance through an employer or through my State Health Connection. I am thinking because the law change that we will not get fined if we do not have health ins, the appropriate questions were hidden in the medical section of turbo tax. The tax preparer at H & R Block, they should if been trained to answer the questions for the 2019 tax year. I am pretty sure the IRS ran in to 1000's of returns with the same issue. Good luck to everyone!!  

Yeah I've called several times and they informed me they are getting a lot of Turbo Tax customers. Hopefully it will not take the full 6 weeks.  

I got the same message I got a tax topic 152 on Friday i faxed my forms on February 20 still no refund

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

The IRS's general timetable is to get you your refund within six to eight weeks of receiving your response.  This is simply the goal; you may receive your refund earlier or later.

The request for Form 8962 and Form 1095-A is usually sent to taxpayers on the IRS's 12C Letter. 
According to the IRS's Understanding Your Letter 12C page,

When we receive the requested information, we’ll use it to process your original tax return.  If you’re due a refund, we’ll send it about 6-8 weeks after we receive your response.

I'm going through he same issue. I also was never asked about the medical which I thought was strange. I sent the 1095A form in along with the 8962. I called the IRS today. They said they received it but are still "processing" it. She says allow another 4-6 weeks. It's frustrating!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

There used to be a tab for health insurance, back when everybody had to file forms. There are hundreds of forms inside Turbo Tax and the program only asks for the most common. Only those with a 1095-A must file health insurance forms now. It is is the Deductions and Credits section listed under Medical.

I am sorry for your frustration.

Same happened to me, turbo tax should have never let any of us proceed with filing without that form, very frustrating 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The reason why the program does not ask the question is that you are not required to have health insurance in 2019.  The health insurance coverage is no longer mandatory at the federal level, as of January 1, 2019. However, some states still require you to have health insurance coverage to avoid a tax penalty.

If you have enrolled in the marketplace and received a Form 1095-A, you would still need to enter that in the program so to create a Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit.

@Jhochsk8

I'm not sure why the bing search shows the word Resolved in the subject line for this issue because as far as I'm concerned this does not resolve anything. It just tells me how badly turbotax screwed up and how it's going to affect others. I'll I wanted to do was file my taxes and get my refund so I can help my family and get caught up on some bills.

But because turbo tax did not ask me about 1095a information I ended up submitting without it and now like so many others have to wait and see. It's not right and the IRS should not allow turbo tax to continue to do business with them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies