Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had an LLC as a sole member. Which product should I use to file my tax return from a few years prior? Can I use the individual or does it have to be a business product?

An LLC is a pass through entity. I was the sole member. Can I file as an individual or do I need to purchase the business version?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I had an LLC as a sole member. Which product should I use to file my tax return from a few years prior? Can I use the individual or does it have to be a business product?

You file as an individual. A single-member LLC is ignored for income tax purposes. (It's called a "disregarded entity.") You enter the LLC income and expenses as business income and expenses on your personal tax return. It will be reported on Schedule C included in your return.

Since you are purchasing software for a past year, you can use any personal version, but Home & Business will give you extra help and guidance for entering your business income and expenses.

What kind of LLC?  Sounds like a Single Member LLC.  But did you elect it to be a S corp?  

Finally someone mentioning something like we are dealing with.  My daughter was set up as a LLC sole member but filing as an S corp for tax purposes.  and I'm having issues in that she does not have stock and it tries to force you into answers.....her return is basically a schedule C on the 1120-s ......but when you get to the K-1 it goes into the stock questions.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Getitdone2 wrote:

Finally someone mentioning something like we are dealing with.

@Getitdone2 

Your daughter's situation is not at all like the previous discussion in this thread. The previous posts are about a single-member LLC that is a disregarded entity, not taxed as an S corp.

See the replies to your other post of the same question in another thread.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies