Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Light3

I got Mktplace ins for dep daughter for 2019 and got APTC. In Dec 2019 she became 24 and was not a student so she isn't my dependent. APTC seems excess. Any solution?

My daughter was my dependent when I got FL mktplace insurance for her for 2019.  At the end of 2019 she became 24 yrs old and isn't a student so she is no longer on my tax returns as a dependent. The APTC is excess because of this.  Is there any solution?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I got Mktplace ins for dep daughter for 2019 and got APTC. In Dec 2019 she became 24 and was not a student so she isn't my dependent. APTC seems excess. Any solution?

Why is she not your dependent in 2019?  Did she have gross income of $4,200 or more in 2019?

Carl
Level 15

At the end of 2019 she became 24 yrs old and isn't a student so she is no longer on my tax returns as a dependent.

That's not enough to make her not qualify as your dependent.  For 2019 she "could" qualify under the dependent relative rules, instead of the dependent child rules.

The qualifying relative rules for your specific situation are:

- Does not meet the qualifying child rules. (She does not)

- Member of Household for entire year, or is a blood relative. (blood relative does not have to be member of household for entire year.)

- Their gross *taxable* income for the year does not exceed $4,200

- They will not be filing a joint tax return.

- You must have provided more than half of her total support for the entire tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies