Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got divorced halfway through the year and went from married tax withholding to single. How do I file to accomodate that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I got divorced halfway through the year and went from married tax withholding to single. How do I file to accomodate that?

There is nothing special you need to do.  You will still just enter your W-2 on your return as you always would.  

Your return is meant to reconcile what you had withheld or paid in during the year with your actual tax liability.  So, if you increased your withholdings, it is possible you may get a bigger refund or at least owe less than you would have when you were having less withheld.  

Getting Divorced

Divorce and Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply. My question is how to account for the married status withholding the first 6 months. Withholding as married status is less than a single status. However when filing for 2024 as single, it doesn't account for that first 6 months and I end up owing the difference for those 6 months even though I was not single.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You will need to file a W4 form with your employer to adjust your withholdings for this current year. Please download Form W4 for the W4 and instructions in order to fill this out and submit to your employer as soon as you can. 

As far as accounting for the married status for the first six months, there is no adjustment you can make for 2023.  You are required to file single for the year and unfortunately, there are no allowances for life changes in the return. The only thing you could have done was to file a W4 change in 2023. 

DO NOT DELAY IN FILING THIS WITH YOUR EMPLOYER IN 2024 !!

@9368bd2027fc 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Already done since June 2023. Thank you for your reply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies