Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT403 error - my 2018 file was okay a few days ago when I accessed it but now I get error code TT403. Con you help me?

I am running TT 2018 standard and preparing joint returns for myself and my wife. I last accessed the file on Feb 19 but now when I try to open the file, I get error code TT 403. Can you help me recover?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

TT403 error - my 2018 file was okay a few days ago when I accessed it but now I get error code TT403. Con you help me?

Error code TT403 means that an error has occurred while reading your return from disk. So your file could be damaged or corrupted.

If you have a backup of your file on another drive or disc, you can try opening that instead. You can also try using the backup file that TurboTax Cd/Download automatically makes. To do this:

1. Open TurboTax.

2. From the File menu, select Open.

3. In the File name field of the Open dialog box, type *.ttbk and then click Open.

4. A list of backup files appears in the Open dialog box.

5. Select the file you want to open and click Open.

6. Save this new file right away as a .tt18 file (or .tt17 for 2017). To do this, from the File menu, select Save as and then click Save.

7. TurboTax gives it the same name as the original file but adds a copy number in brackets so you can differentiate it from the original corrupt file.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
TurboTaxSusan , Moderator
 Moderator  5 days ago

We're having the same TT403 error problem. Support is useless. None of it worked. Hours and hours of work down the drain and it could happen again. We won't use Turbotax again.  

I get the same error with both the original file AND the backup. I last used it Feb 22. Today TurboTax updated and now I get the error. Obviously I have to start over. On top of the problem preventing it from working on Windows 10, I "also" will never use TurboTax again!
rfin16

The TT 2017 version did not properly save one of our returns and after a frustrating one hour with the support people they suggested I import the 2016 files into TT 2017 to redo and transfer to 2018. Yet after doing this in TT 2017, transferring forward to  TT 2018  and inputting everything for 2018  I am now getting non save error 4401 and invalid file error 4403 when trying to read files.  Taxes are frustrating enough without this BS. Time to consider another program after more that 10 years. The customer support is atrociously poor now. 

To TurboTax:  I may have a good clue as to the TT401 and TT403 errors.  It concerns the "Itemize Field" command.  I am using the new Turbotax Canada 2019.  I kept getting the aforementioned errors.  I repeatedly deleted the offending file and re-transferred in the 2018 original file.  Upon entering a value into line 8860 (Professional Fees), I could save and recover the file.  When I chose to "Itemize Field", I could not save the file because of the TT error.  When I REMOVED the itemization and reentered the numeric same value, I could then save and recover the file.  I therefore believe the error is with the "Itemize Field" feature, as it was virtually the only item/number that I entered into the "virgin" file.  In past years I have used the "Itemize Field" feature extensively -- including in line 8860.  As these TT errors seem to be common -- judging from the complains on line -- this is worth exploring at your end.

Quesnelgirl
Returning Member

I too have had many errors using Turbo Tax Canadian vs. 2020 starting with having to repeatedly put in my license code; then the save errors started and I had to save to a USB stick or I couldn't save a file; now I am completely unable to open the files and they are saying they are corrupt. I have had both the TT401 and the TT403 errors. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, tried the tips from people online and nothing is working.

The troubles seemed to start with the updates from TurboTax as it was working fine in January.

Anyone have any other thoughts on how make things work again?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Help Article here, which will give you further troubleshooting steps. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Quesnelgirl
Returning Member

I tried do the repair option but it isn't an option at all. Only thing is uninstall....which I did already and reinstalled. This years version of TurboTax Home and Business downloaded desktop version just WILL NOT WORK properly. Can't save anymore even to a USB stick or anything.  

TT needs to make a fix for this whole version as everyone is having issues with the program. Fix or don't sell it.

Let me know if you actually fix the program. Surely some computer programmer can fix this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies